Derriford United Reformed Church 50th Year Anniversary 1966-2016
Celebration of Her Majesty The Queen’s 90th Birthday
A Story of Pilgrim people In a Pilgrim City who stepped out in faith to build a “New” Church which was to be dedicated, “ To the Glory of God in the Service of Man” and was opened on the 11th June 1966. This year on the weekend of the 10th-11th-12th June the Church will be celebrating 50 Years of service to God and the community and also will honour the 90th Birthday of Her Majesty the Queen.
The story began in 1895 when a Miss Harriette Halloran built a small wooden Chapel situated on the Tavistock Road at the corner of Delganey Drive, a small lane close to Powisland Drive, The purpose of the chapel was to provide a Sunday School for children and adults who were a farming community scattered in the parish of Tamerton Foliot. It slowly became a place of worship for many over the ensuing years and was eventually linked to the Congregational Denomination and then much later to the United Reformed Church. Children and young people were an
important part of the Church and remain so to date.
As the Southway & Heathfield Estates (now Derriford Estate) grew it became necessary for the little Church to look for larger premises. So began the search for a new site on which to build the “New Church”. After much planning and fund raising by a small group of people the new site was found on the estate at the corner of Powisland Drive and Caradon Close. The Church was built and dedicated 1966, “To the Glory of God in the Service of Man”. Further growth in the Church and the surrounding Estate led to the Church Hall Building on the site and was opened on the 21st March 1970 with the same dedication as the Church.
The Church’s first part-time Minister was The Rev Dennis Pickering with his family 1957-1963 followed by the Rev Keith Forecast and family 1964-1970, a full time Minister energetic and charismatic who became responsible amongst his many other duties to supervise with the Church Elders the planning and building of the “New Church” and Church Hall. Over the years, Derriford Church has had 8 Ministers serving it’s Members, Congregation and Community and is currently awaiting the appointment of it’s next Minister.
The Dedication “To the Glory of God in the Service of Man” continues to be at the forefront of all that is hoped for by it’s members and congregation with the provision of usual Church Services, a Mum’s & Dad’s Toddler group (first initiated as a Nursery group in the Old Chapel), together with “Pilots Company” (the official Youth Organisation of the United Reformed Church) providing lively activities and lots of fun with a Christian ethos, groups are for 3-4 years, 5-7 years, 7-11 years and 11-16 years. There are junior Church groups in the same age ranges. House groups meet weekly and there is a Monthly Luncheon club for older folk. An Art club, a flower club, a local Choir, The Society for Advanced Drivers, The Townswomens Guild and the Mustard Tree organisation who meet regularly in the Hall, which is also used for Birthday Parties and other occasions.
Recent building projects have seen the new Kitchen in the hall with a Community Cafe catering for light meals and snacks & lots of tea & coffee!! modern toilets with Baby & Disabled facilities have also been provided. So as we look to the future we hope to go on, with God’s help and encouragement, to continue serving in Church & Community. Our next and imminent plan is to Celebrate our 50th Anniversary and the Queens 90th Birthday over the weekend of Friday 10th – Sunday 12th June 2016.
Programme of Events